Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Kristen: 7 of 15


Title: Switched
Author: Amanda Hocking
Pages: 330

Description (from Amazon.com)

Switched - the first book in the Trylle Trilogy...

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right.

With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.

My Thoughts:

This is the first book I purchased to read on the Kindle for iPad app.  I choose this one off of a Kindle top sellers list when I decided I'd give reading on the iPad a try, even though I was against the idea before.

Pros: You can get your book right away. HUGE plus, especially when you get to the end of a book of a series and you want the next one.  No waiting for it to be shipped, or having to drive to the store.  Also, I rather enjoyed propping the iPad up in a pillow next to me as I lounged in bed and just tapping the screen to turn the page, plus no need for a book mark, it's always open to where you left it.

Cons: There's the battery life to think about.  While the battery life really lasts a LONG time.  I got through this book and halfway through the next before I had to plug it in, its still something you have to think about.  There's the fact that you are reading on an electronic device... as if my eyes don't spend enough time staring at a computer screen or a television.  Then there's the lack of a physical book to hold.  I realize this was also part of my "pros" but there's just something about holding a book that is nice.  Feeling how far you are into it, how far you've got to go. (granted there is a percentage bar at the bottom, it just doesn't quite feel the same).

All in all, I'll never give up the paper book it's definitely my favorite, but I'll keep the e book around too.  Anyhoo, on to the book review...

This book was different and familiar all at the same time.  In a way it kind of had a Twilight feel to it, but not really.  Wendy finds out that everything she thought about life is basically false, and that the stuff of myths is reality.  She was switched at birth by her real family to live with a human family and is now supposed to take her rightful place on the throne as the Trylle Princess.  Trylle are trolls, but not in the way that we imagine them; they are beautiful and powerful.  She has to learn her place in her new world. 

It's an interesting story and a quick easy read.  I really enjoyed it and would recomend it to someone looking for something a little out of the ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment